Metro station Pasteur
Pasteur is a station on lines 6 and 12 of the Paris Métro in the 15th arrondissement. Nearby is the Pasteur Institute. The station opened on 24 April 1906. On 12 October 1942 the section of line 5 between Étoile and Place d'Italie, including Pasteur was transferred from line 5 to line 6 in order to separate the underground and elevated sections of the metro because the latter were more vulnerable to air attack during World War II. The station is named after the Boulevard Pasteur which is named after Louis Pasteur (1822 -1895) French microbiologist and chemist. It was the location of the Barriere de Vaugirard, a gate built between 1784 and 1788 for the collection of taxation as part of the Wall of the Farmers-General, and demolished during in the nineteenth century.